If you’re looking for smooth, stubble-free skin, the best at-home laser hair removal devices can actually deliver some promising results. Maybe you’re thinking of the painful devices of the past (you know, the ones that take forever to work), well, good news: These devices have come a long way. For starters, there are more options than ever. Not sure where to start? We spoke with real-life testers and dermatologists to learn more about laser hair removal. Trust us: You'll retire your razor after using these devices.
Our top at-home laser hair removal devices 2024, at a glance:
- Best At-Home Laser Hair Removal Overall: Braun Silk-Expert Pro 5 IPL, $380
- Best Affordable Laser Hair Removal Device: HappySkinCo Gen.2 IPL Hair Removal Handset, $149
- Best IPL Hair Removal Device: SmoothSkin Pure Fit IPL Hair Removal Device, $379
- Best Diode Laser: Tria Beauty Hair Removal Laser 4X, $499
- Best for Sensitive Skin: Jovs Venus Pro II, $299
- Best for Most Skin Tones: Iluminage Touch Permanent Hair Reduction System, $449
Common laser hair removal questions
- What is at-home laser hair removal?
- How does laser hair removal work?
- Does laser hair removal hurt?
- Is laser hair removal safe?
- Is laser hair removal permanent?
- How long does laser hair removal take to work?
- What to know about laser hair removal aftercare
- What to know about laser hair removal and sun exposure
All products featured on Glamour are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
1/19See AlsoBest Facial Laser Hair Removal For Women Treatment Machine | PrettyLasersThese Are the Hair Removal Products We Use to Get Smooth Skin From Head to ToeThese At-Home Laser Hair Removal Devices Can Save You Hundreds of DollarsOur Favorite At-Home Laser Hair Removal Devices Just Went On Sale
Best Overall: Braun Silk-Expert Pro 5 IPL
You've likely seen this laser hair removal device all over your social feeds, and for good reason. For starters, “it’s quick and easy to use with three sensitivity modes—normal, gentle, or extra gentle—so it’s less painful than other products on the market,” says Gloria Lin, MD, a board-certified dermatologist in New York City. Glamour contributor Brigitt Earley, couldn't agree more. In just 10 to 15 minutes, she tackled her armpits, legs, and bikini line. “It didn't hurt at all,” she says. “Maybe a tiny zing here and there, but nothing even remotely significant. And there's only one big button to press. If you hold it down, it'll even deliver continuous flashes, so you can complete large areas like legs in, well, a flash.”
Braun promises results in as little as four weeks, and this time frame was spot-on in Earley's testing. “After weekly treatments for four weeks, 99% of my hair had stopped growing completely,” she says. Also nice: It comes with a precision head attachment for the bikini area, a Venus razor to aid with pre-laser-hair-removal, and a storage pouch.
- Pros: Fast with a visible reduction in body hair in just a month
- Cons: Not ideal for facial hair
- Laser type: IPL
- Intensity levels: 3
- Flashes: 400,000 lifetime flashes
- How to use: Shave with the included razor, then choose your comfort mode. Put the applicator in contact with skin, then glide it along the treatment areas while pressing the button. Repeat weekly.
- What reviewers say: I’m on my sixth treatment and have already seen significant results! I use this every Friday and shave prior. I went to shave before my 6th treatment (one a week) and there was almost nothing to shave. I use it on my legs, underarms, arms and bikini area. I was very hesitant about buying this but did my research and read all of the reviews (not just on Amazon). If this doesn't work for someone, it's most likely due to user error, not using it consistently once a week or having the wrong skin-hair contrast (I have dark hair and light skin). I can't wait until the end of the 12 weeks as I am already so very happy with the results! —Kam, reviewer on Amazon
Save when you shop for the best at-home laser hair removal devices with these Target coupon codes.
Best Cooling Laser Hair Removal: Ulike IPL Permanent Hair Removal Device
Since IPL works by heating up the hair, says Dr. Woolery Lloyd, things can get hot fast. This sleek little device uses cooling technology to lower the temperature to 50°F where it meets your skin, minimizing any pain from heat. It has unlimited flashes as well as a generously sized flash window, which gives you the ability to treat a larger area in a shorter amount of time. And, for easy use, each of the five intensity levels corresponds to a difference area of the body—so you don't have to figure it out yourself.
“This was the first at-home hair removal device I ever used, and I was really impressed by it,” says Earley. “The cooling feature was a nice touch that made me more comfortable, since I was nervous it would hurt. Spoiler alert: It did not. I started to see results in a little over a month. Overall, this one provides a really great value.”
- Pros: Intensity levels are easy understand
- Cons: A snap feeling at higher intensity levels
- Laser type: IPL
- Intensity levels: 5
- Flashes: Unlimited lifetime flashes
- How to use: Glide the device over clean, dry skin. Repeat three times a week for the first four weeks, then twice a week for weeks five through eight. Monthly maintenance treatments are recommended.
- What reviewers say: When I tested it, I didn’t know what to expect. Would it zap? Would it burn? How loud would it be? With just a click of the button only a bright flash appeared, nothing else (but be sure to wear the glasses as the light will damage your eyes!!) Afterwards, the area tested felt as if you touched the skin with an ice cube but only lasted for a couple minutes. The fan inside wasn’t too loud as it’s for a cooling effect. Overall, it well exceeded my expectations! —Kris, reviewer on Amazon
Insights, advice, suggestions, feedback and comments from experts
Expert Introduction: As an expert and enthusiast, I have been trained on a vast amount of data from various sources, including books, articles, and websites. I have extensive knowledge on a wide range of topics and can provide detailed and accurate information on many subjects. My responses are generated based on this knowledge, allowing me to engage in discussions, answer questions, and provide explanations. While I don't possess personal experiences or feelings, I have been designed to provide information and assistance in a reliable and comprehensive manner.
At-Home Laser Hair Removal: Laser hair removal has become a popular method for achieving smooth, stubble-free skin, and advancements in technology have made it possible to perform the procedure at home. In an article you provided, there is a list of the best at-home laser hair removal devices for 2024, along with common questions and information about the procedure.
What is at-home laser hair removal?
At-home laser hair removal refers to the use of specialized devices that emit laser or intense pulsed light (IPL) to target and remove unwanted hair. These devices are designed for personal use and provide an alternative to salon or clinic-based treatments.
How does laser hair removal work?
Laser hair removal works by targeting the pigment (melanin) in the hair follicles. The laser or IPL device emits a beam of light that is absorbed by the melanin in the hair, which then converts the light into heat. This heat damages the hair follicle, inhibiting its ability to regrow hair. Over time and with repeated treatments, the hair follicle becomes permanently disabled, resulting in long-term reduction or elimination of hair growth.
Does laser hair removal hurt?
The level of discomfort experienced during laser hair removal can vary from person to person. Some individuals may feel a slight tingling or snapping sensation, while others may experience mild discomfort or a sensation similar to a rubber band snapping against the skin. However, most at-home laser hair removal devices incorporate features such as cooling technology or adjustable intensity levels to minimize discomfort.
Is laser hair removal safe?
When performed correctly and following the manufacturer's instructions, at-home laser hair removal is generally considered safe. However, it is important to choose a reputable device and carefully follow the guidelines provided. It is also recommended to perform a patch test on a small area of skin before proceeding with full treatments to ensure compatibility and minimize the risk of adverse reactions.
Is laser hair removal permanent?
While laser hair removal can lead to long-term reduction or elimination of hair growth, it is important to note that it may not result in complete and permanent hair removal for everyone. Factors such as hair color, skin type, and hormonal changes can influence the effectiveness of the treatment. Maintenance sessions may be required to maintain the desired results.
How long does laser hair removal take to work?
The timeframe for seeing results from laser hair removal can vary depending on factors such as the individual's hair growth cycle and the device used. Generally, it takes multiple treatments spaced several weeks apart to achieve significant hair reduction. Some individuals may start to see a noticeable reduction in hair growth after a few weeks, while others may require several months of treatment.
What to know about laser hair removal aftercare
After laser hair removal, it is important to follow proper aftercare instructions to ensure optimal results and minimize the risk of side effects. This may include avoiding sun exposure, applying soothing creams or moisturizers, and avoiding activities that can irritate the treated area, such as hot showers or strenuous exercise. It is recommended to consult the device's instructions or seek guidance from a healthcare professional for specific aftercare guidelines.
What to know about laser hair removal and sun exposure
Sun exposure should be minimized before and after laser hair removal treatments. Excessive sun exposure can increase the risk of complications, such as skin discoloration or burns. It is advisable to avoid tanning beds, sunbathing, and unprotected sun exposure for a specified period before and after treatments. Sunscreen with a high SPF should be applied to the treated areas when exposed to sunlight.
These are the main concepts and information related to at-home laser hair removal discussed in this article. If you have any further questions or need more specific information, feel free to ask!